Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Independent Black Film Festival

Ok, I know I'm supposed to holla about some unjust situtation or hidden racism; but this time, I have to holla in a positive way.

I was given this opportunity to moderate 3 different panel discussions this week at the Independent Black Film Festival, held in Atlanta, GA. To be totally honest, I thought it was a nice opportunity, and I really admire and am very fond of the CEO of the festival, Asante Addae; however, I am so accustomed to being in the background with my clients, as opposed to the forefront, that I didn't see a lot of value in it for myself professionally. But, as it turns out, it really re-ignited a flame within me, that I felt had gone away.

I went to college aspiring to be an anchor woman. But as I tell most of my associates and friends, when you're young, you're really sold a dream. Being a divorced mother of two by the time I graduated, even after doing internships, I just wasn't in the position to commit to a starting reporter's assignments or salary. I really should have been taking more classes in the field that I am working in now.

Well, to keep from babbling, as moderator for these panel discussions, it was much like interviewing as a reporter and/or journalist. It was so refreshing to me, and I really felt comfortable and at home with facilitating the flow of the discussions. I mean, I was sharing the dais with very prominent African-Americans in the broadcasting, media, film and entertainment industries, and just a side note, I am sooo over being star struck, that it is hilarious. Whereas, I noticed some of my audience members in the various sessions in total awe of some of the panelists--such as Leon, from Waiting to Exhale, The 5 Heartbeats and The Temptations, but I was sooo beyond seeing them as these sex symbols or anything other than successful individuals in their craft. I was really professionally engaged in the topics, the questions and their responses.

So, in essence, although I really love what I am doing now, and prayerfully will continue to grow professionally and my business will flourish and my territory will enlarge, I really am excited about taking it the next level by pursuing my original goal, and possibly doing some work as a freelance reporter/journalist.

I would advise my readers to check out the Independent Black Film Festival by clicking on the title. Shout out to Asante, for putting together a great event once again, and to Dore, for keeping me in the loop and taking care of me before and after my sessions. My people, let's continue to support each other in our great works.


Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home