Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Anti-Black Entertainment Television

I must holla about the BET Comedy Awards last night. I chose to tune in as a result of a desperate need for comic relief. And for the most part, when I was able to get beyond the bleeps, and could uncover my own eyes (and not that of a child who shouldn't be watching), I somewhat enjoyed certain elements of the show. HOWEVER, the majority of it---well, read on.....
If you view my profile, you see that I am totally in favor of freedom of expression. But some things are just totally baffling to me. Can someone please explain to me why our comedic actors and entertainers will stand at the microphone and encourage others to include and support them in movies, television shows, etc., in the midst of profanity and acts of lewdness?
I don't get it! Maybe I'm just crazy. But if the story is that we are held back because of our ethnic make-up and "The Man" won't allow us to grow as respected comedians and actors in the industry, then my thinking would be; maybe it's because "The Man" is watching this awards show that you are acting a fool on right now!
I just won't apologize for my opinion, and I won't even attempt to make excuses for my sisters and brothers. But when I watched Chris Rock, Wanda Sykes, Cheryl Underwood and a few others stand up and thank "our people" for giving them awards, while spewing profanity in every other word; it just doesn't add up. Didn't Chris just host the "thEmmy's" or some awards show recently? (Yes, I am purposely articulating it that way...) I didn't hear all of the explicit language on that show. So why come home and act up?
And what about Shemar Moore's, "I'm so fine that I need to freak every woman that I'm placed on stage with" charade? The brother is definitely a sex symbol by society's standards, but Tyler Perry (who did exhibit a wonderful example of charm and professionalism) could not even accept an award for his movie debut, for Shemar attempting to simulate getting busy on the stage floor with Tichina Arnold!
If you didn't watch it, it's really just more of the typical anti-Black programming that BET presents on a consistent basis, but I'm sure they will run it again, and again, and again for a while. If you choose to tune in, you may feel that this stuff was harmless. But the bottom line is, that even if BET feels that their audience is only made up of people under 25, and the behavioral examples of last night somewhat support that, why not elevate that demographic to a higher level of entertainment? Why don't we stop talking about who's holding us back, and how hard it is to stay on television and be included in movies, and make a conscience choice to improve upon our complete image? I don't feel that we should accept this type of behavior, just because we are among our own people. If you can clean it up for the "thEmmy's", then you can clean it up for yourself, your children and your people. Peace.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

i think you're spot on really...

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why we continue to lay the cause of social responsiblity at the feet of entertainers, but as we do, we will continue these conversations - perpetually. The cause of entertainers isn't to do what's right, it is to do what sells. Take issue with those who continue to tune it, buy the CD's, movies, etc. They are the ones pushing this. As long as it sells, there is going to be someone to sell it.

That's all I have to say about that.

Fateen

Sunday, October 09, 2005 5:49:00 PM  
Blogger Blu Sol said...

Fateen,

You express a great point. We as a society have to change our thinking and refuse to support what doesn't portray a positive image of ourselves. However, I still don't buy into the "don't make me your role model, just because I'm a celebrity or entertainer" train of thought. It is a conscience choice to obtain a position that places individuals into the spotlight. It goes back to the "to whom much is given, much is required" cliche.

My point was that one by one, these entertainers were soliciting help in obtaining roles of more quality and quantity, but it should be a collective effort: Portray an image that is going to uplift us a race and ultimately, as a society; and we as consumers need to buy into that image and support it.

Thanks for your comment!!

Sunday, October 09, 2005 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

As someone who once worked with children, I see young parents today who see nothing wrong with some of the crap their children put into their minds.

When I was younger, my parents hated my music. When they were young, their parents hated their music. Now, that might not be necessary, but I think most people who are young or teenage never had the proper guidance to tell them what TRASH is. And as they grow older, they'll have no point of reference. It's just: "do whatever you like" or "just follow your heart." Two pieces of reckless advice.

I know a whole lot of people who mess with TRASHY things. It really is a shame.

Monday, October 10, 2005 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

Also... BET is owned by Viacom now. It's no longer owned by Robert Johnson, he sold the company.

If Black folks don't fight to keep control of their share of the media and their share of private business, then we'll see more and more of the same. The only difference in the future will be that a few more of the executives pushing this garbage will be Black. And as we see now, they don't give a dman.

A few individuals get rich, and the rest stay poor and dumb. All the while we applaude how well they exploit their own. That's a better system than any physical slavery.

Monday, October 10, 2005 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

I agree with you. When you are in a certain role it comes with responsibility. We have a responsibility to model positiveness to the young....no amount of money should encourage you to lead our children astray. For get that I am not your role model or your mother...but you expect us to support...don't come out on the popular side, come out on the right side. African Americans have too many issues and problems and we need to represent ourselves more positive.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

Blu Sol, come visit my site sometime. I got some things I love to hear your opinion on. I need my strong Sistah's help.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger prodigalsun said...

Hmmm... I feel you. In this light, yes, the award show was a bit tawdry. But I guess I am kinda ghetto because it was amusing to me. I love wanda sykes and chris rock. They remind me of my sarcastic sharp witted family members. Granted, everyone's family may not be like this, but I could relate.

Shemar did get on my nerves. And there was some unnecessary antics. And true, this is not the only way to show people of color in an award show setting. But, if we take license to act the fool at any award show at all, ... shouldnt it be at a comedy award show...? dont you think?

I agree with a better portrayal of self, but we are not always the cosby's. Sometimes we can be ghetto. Sometimes we can be profane. And while it does get repetitive, in this specific incident, I dont see it as a major issue.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Blu Sol said...

Stephen: I have a link to your site on my blog! I frequent your site quite often. I've left a couple of comments, but I tried to leave a comment on your current one, but it wouldn't allow it. Kudos on your newest endeavor!

Prodigalsun: Your point is well taken. I was speaking of a don't talk about what you aren't being served, if you do not portray an image of obtaining what you feel you are entitled to. We all can go into our zone with our friends and family, that is not necessarily the presentation that we give on the outside. And yes, I encourage acting a fool on a comedy show, but with tact. I can even accept a little profanity, without the vulgarity--with tact!!


Thank you both, and holla back anytime!

Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home